The Public Art Centre is a not-for-profit charitable organization with a mission to promote the appreciation for and support the practice of the visual arts in St. Thomas and Elgin County; with our doors closed and our programs cancelled we are already seeing the effects. If you are in a position to do so, you can help to support STEPAC the following ways, every bit helps!
The doors to our building may be closed, but please enjoy our online exhibitions and new artists biographies, online publications, and resources, sign up for the newletter, and don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook and subscribe on YouTube.
In 2019, the Public Art Centre celebrated its' 50th Anniversary, our successes have been put on hold for awhile. Our Redtail Cocktail Party and Silent Auction has been postponed and we will be working with Redtail to bring you the safest way for us to get together. Thank you to our sponsors for their ongoing support!
In order to commemorate the life and artistic achievements of Clark McDougall and to encourage and support future generations of artists, a scholarship fund has been established in Clark McDougall's name by his family. Each year two $1000.00 awards are presented to two graduating secondary school students from St. Thomas and Elgin County, who are pursuing visual or graphic arts at a post secondary level.
1. $1000.00 for any graduating student entering a traditional post secondary fine arts program which included studio courses in drawing and painting.
2. $1000.00 for any graduating student entering any other post secondary visual arts program which may include arts, photography, design and architecture or any other program deemed appropriate by the selection committee.
1. Student are required to apply in person to the St. Thomas-Elgin Public Art Centre with the following:
2. Four (4) original works of art
3. Works labeled on the back with artist's name, titled, date and medium
4. A letter outlining career objectives and which of the two school scholarships is being applied for
5. The student's SIN # must be included
6. A confirmation of acceptance to a first year fine arts/visual arts program at a post secondary institution
Notice * The representative of the McDougall Group and the Public art Centre have made the very difficult choice to forego awarding the scholarship this year. The uncertainty of schools and public spaces re-opening and the numerous challenges/concerns that digital submissions would open up have made this decision necessary. This was indeed a very difficult decision, but we are hopeful that next year will see a return to more normal circumstances for everyone.